Re: alfa-digest V7 #1244 - Cresent (TM) Wrench

In a message dated 12/27/1999 7:17:55 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:56:38 PST
 From: "B Shuler" <ypp86w@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: English as she is spoke

 C.M. smith correctly wrote:

 "The [C]rescent wrench is the universally used adjustable spanner
 >in North America for work on cars."

 But there are regional variations in this usage; one common synonym in Texas
 and Oklahoma, especially in the oilfield, for this massively useful
 appliance is "mexican socket set." >>

    It is also known as an Arkansas Fits All.  By the way, I think Crescent
(TM) wrench should be capitalized and the (TM) symbol should accompany it.
Aspirin is a generic name as the trade mark was lost.  I believe adjustable
wrenches not carrying the Crescent (TM) name need to be sold as adjustable
wrenches or adjustable spanners.
    By the way, Mr. Smith implied that a monkey wrench is like a pipe wrench.
 It is shaped exactly like one in that the jaws are 90 degrees to the handle.
 However, the "monkey wrench" has smooth jaws for use on nuts and other
fittings.  The pipe wrench has teeth on its jaws to grab (and mutilate) the
pipe and fittings.  Pipe wrenches are still available.  Monkey wrenches went
the way of the Model T Ford, AFAIK.

     As they say in the Oil Patch hereabouts, I got it all knowed up!
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City