Re: alfa-digest V7 #1244 - Engine Hoist

Bruce,
    Find a house with more garage.  No one can live with only a one car
garage.  Unless there is space in the back yard for a small 40 x 60
building...
    In high school, I pulled engines with the manure scoop on the front of a
farm tractor.  Mobile enough that I could drive the tractor to town and wash
the engine at the car wash.
    Later I acquired an electric chain hoist.  I hung it from the rafters of
my house where all the legs of the hip roof came together.  Actually, I hung
a chain from the rafters down though a hole in the garage ceiling.  The chain
hoist hung under the ceiling.  And yes, the car had to be wiggled and moved
to align the engine.  Not really a problem.
    David Simmons had a large beam attached to the ceiling of his garage.
When he wanted to pull an engine, he put 4 x 4's from the ends down to the
floor.  His roof was not deemed strong enough to hang the hoist from the
rafters.  David is an Architect, so he should know.
    I still have the electric chain hoist, but I bought a cherry picker a few
years ago.  It has an A shaped frame with wheels at the corners of the A.  It
has an adjustable arm with a hydraulic jack to move it up and down.  It cost
about $200.  I could take it apart for storage, but I just leave it set up
and store stuff in an under it when not in use.
    The cherry picker is quite mobile.  You can push it around with the
engine on it.  And it is easy to attach the engine stand while the engine is
in the air.
    It is best to push the car out of the garage and pull the engine in the
drive.  There is simply not enough room in front of the car.  Or there is not
in my garage.  A deeper garage might allow that.  Height is not a problem.
    Since you have to move the car around with most any type of pulling
device, having a chain hoist that is not movable is not that big a
disadvantage.  I still vote for a cherry picker - and for a house with more
garage.
    You want the real deal?  Go for a bridge crane.  Two tracks on either
side of the garage with the chain hoist mounted to a cross track.  Everything
is on rollers and the hoist can move anywhere in the garage!

    Once the engine is out, you need to build an Alfa engine stand.  I used
two commercial engine stands - the cheap ones.  I modified them to attach to
both sides of the engine by bolting to the motor mount locations.  For the
four cylinder, I welded channel to the ends of the correct diameter tubing.
The top of the three holes for the motor mount locations is 3/4 inch below
the bottom of the pipe.  The pipe the engine rotates on is 2 3/16 inches
outside diameter.  In other words, the center of mass of the Alfa four
cylinder is about an inch and a half above the top bolt of the motor mount.
    Mounts for the same stand with a Milano engine are more complicated.  I
can describe the ones I made offline if desired.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 12/27/1999 7:17:55 PM Central Standard Time,