Re: alfa-digest V7 #1241 - English as she is spoke?

John,
    I have been trying to ignore all the arguments about language usage, but
I found your comments refreshing.  Someone once said that American and
Britain were two countries separated by a common language.
    So it is 32 C there?  Lemme (allow me to) think. 32 x 9 / 5 + 32 = 90
degrees F.  That is warm for Christmas.  Oklahoma only got to 59 degrees
today - Fahrenheit is assumed as obviously no one ever would use Centigrade
to describe the weather.  Centigrade is something you learn in Chemistry
class and never use again. <grin>
     Rocker panels are the sheet metal parts below the doors - the ones that
go away on our beloved Alfas.
    And, "How can a "water tap" become "fawcet"?  Well, it should be spelled
"faucet" if you refer to the plumbing on a sink.  However, if you are
referring to one of the actresses on Charlie's Angels some years ago, then
yes, I liked the concept that I might be allowed to "fix" Farria's Fawcet.
<only slightly off color - colour?>
    In the front of my Haynes Alfetta (obligatory Alfa content) manual there
is a list translating English into American.  I found it amusing when I
noticed it, but your note brought it to mind.  I also note that this manual
lists the "Kerb" weight of the Alfetta models.  Since this term was not on
the translation list, I had to go by context to figure out they meant "Curb"
weight.
    This discussion is far more interesting than abuse of the language was.
And yes, my AOL spell checker barfed / choked / questioned much of the
spelling in the "English" portion of your list.  Thanks again.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City
That is in the state of Oklahoma,
formerly known as Indian Territory,
in the EWE Knighted Steaks of a Merica,
Planet Earth. <grin>
Do y'all say y'all?

In a message dated 12/25/1999 6:35:02 AM Central Standard Time,