Re: retorques

In a message dated 12/24/99 10:12:46 AM Central Standard Time,
fsharple@domain.elided writes:

<< Regarding the recent questions about "when" to retorque heads.  I'd
suggest one other time, for those in northern climes where their Alfas may
start up at 20 below (F) (or worse).

I disagree. Head gasket loading is only good within a narrow range.
Retorquing when it is stone cold is basically over torquing. Accelerated head
gasket failure is a fact of life in very cold climates. Other than having a
very good resilient gasket there is little to prevent gasket failure. And,
for the most part since the removal of asbestos from head gaskets, excellent
gaskets are hard to find. This coupled with the other tradeoffs in gasket
design makes gasket life a very difficult problem. Another point is with the
new gasket designs for the V6 engines the gaskets are designed for one and
only one retorquing.

John Katos (former Fel-Pro gasket guy)