Re: alfa-digest V7 #1240

In a message dated 12/24/99 5:01:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I found that one cam had slipped one tooth and that the belt was loose.
 At first I thought that the tensioner was the problem because it wouldn't
retract. Later, I found out that the tensioner will only retract if given
constant pressure for a long period of time (like 5 minutes).

 So it's all back together now with a new belt and new tensioner. Not
 sure what caused the belt to slip (and stretch?). It did have 40K miles on
it. Maybe I just waited too long. I had been planning to change it over xmas
break. I plan to check the tension in a few thousand miles. Should be a piece
of cake now... >>

This is a common problem with 24 valves, it is recommended that the belt be
adjusted every 10,000 miles.