Re: 105 front wheel bearings & adjustment

Simon says:

>On the adjuster nut, there is another answer. I have seen some front
>spindles drilled at 90 degrees to the original hole. With a 6-point
>slotted (castle) nut and 2 holes in the spindle at 90 degrees to each
>other, you are sure to find some combination that keeps the bearings
>tight, but not too tight. Instead of getting a slot every 36 degrees,
>you get one every 18 degrees. As the spindles are a safety item, I do
>hesitate to suggest you drill them yourself. I think they're hardended,
>but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks, Simon.  Another alternative I have seen (can't remember where) is
the use of a non-castellated nut with a pressed steel cap.  One end of the
cap has a double-hex pressed into it, allowing the 18 degree adjustment as
above, and the other is drilled for the split pin.  I think there were two
holes drilled in it, allowing finer than 18 degree adjustment.

Cheers
Mat