Re: 105 front wheel bearings & adjustment

Note that the numbers 40 65 9 on the grease seal are the size of the
seal in mm. That's 40mm ID, 65mm OD, and 9mm thick. There are still
some parts places that can get you the seal by the size. Most parts
counter people will just stand there chanting, "What kinda car izzat
fer?" until you leave in disgust.

On the adjuster nut, there is another answer. I have seen some front
spindles drilled at 90 degrees to the original hole. With a 6-point
slotted (castle) nut and 2 holes in the spindle at 90 degrees to each
other, you are sure to find some combination that keeps the bearings
tight, but not too tight. Instead of getting a slot every 36 degrees,
you get one every 18 degrees. As the spindles are a safety item, I do
hesitate to suggest you drill them yourself. I think they're hardended,
but I could be wrong on that.

The way the Japanese cars do this, the spindle nuts are self-locking,
and once in position, a collar on the nut is peened into the slot on
the spindle. There's no cotter pin, but no opportunity for subsequent
fine tuning either.