Re: 164S electrical witchcraft

>thanks to all who responded a few days ago with suggestions for my post
>rear-ended, electrical shutdown.  the suggestions focused on two main
>possibilities:

>1. that my key had gotten stuck in the initial start position which
>allows a relay to turn off all electricity while starting the car.
>2. that when rear-ended a wire was pinched that is causing a short....

I can't quite see how it could be related to the crash, but it's worth
checking the following anyhow:

I had a related problem with my wife's Fiat Croma (which may or may not have
similar wiring to the 164). It shut down once while driving, and would
randomly refuse to start: no instrument lights, no cranking, no exterior
lights, but yes to radio and interior lights. A nightmare to find, because
it would cure itself as soon as you went looking....

It wasn't until it failed for good one day that I found the problem. I
suspected the switch, which it wasn't, so started there and worked my way
back towards the battery. What it was was a block connector for one of the
relatively major power supply cables behind the carpet in the LH footwell
(where it could get kicked...) that had came partially apart, with some
arcing and melting of the plastic evident. Cleaned it up, put some contact
grease on the terminals, fine since.  This was a RHD car, so it is possible
that the wiring may be elsewhere. Worth checking anyhow... start at the
battery and work towards the ignition switch checking connectors?? Good
Luck!

Christmas best wishes to all from warm and sunny Auckland!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Croma

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML