Re: Erudite Digesters

>In AD #1233, C. M. Smith writes:
>
>"Just that some of us have such important and urgent messages we
>assume the recipients can spell check the results just as easily, if
>they
>so desire, taking full responsibility for any resulting
>misunderstandings.
>
>"Fun and free are the keys to enjoying this exchange of thoughts and
>feelings... a toughie for some of us I know, but I'm bending slowly."
>
>**********

I, too, would like to keep this digest lighthearted. However, this notion
of "feel free to type any old way you choose" here really bothers me.
Doesn't it come down to this: With a pencil or a typewriter, there were
some simple norms. They didn't include--or--condone butchering the English
language. A premium was placed upon proper writing and, certainly, correct
spelling.

Just because we've changed the medium to the Net, is there some reason to
believe that English language writing standards no longer apply? In my
mind, good writing remains good, and correct spelling remains correct.

Rick Pocock
Dovetail Racing
ITB Alfa Romeo Spider, No. 42