Cold weather Alfa owner/drivers

No need to feel sorry for us poor folks up North, folks.  Let me tell you...

Yesterday was one of those wonderful, crisp winter days up here in Seattle,
clear sky, "brisk" temperature but not freezing.  I was *forced* to take the
afternoon off to do some late Christmas shopping (in the company of a few
thousand others, but that's another story) and had an absolute blast letting
Arturo take me from mall to mall.  Top down?  Of course - it wasn't raining,
was it?

After leaving the last emporium,  still top-down as night was falling, I ran
into the beginnings of rush-hour traffic, which those of you who know the
general Bellevue/Eastside area of the greater Seattle area will recognize as
a horrific, doom-laden omen.  Third-worst traffic in the nation, according
to recent surveys.  I believe 'em.  It was 20 miles home; even in the worst
"normal" traffic I can generally do it in an hour.  It took two and a half.

Commuter traffic north out of Bellevue/Redmond was heavy, but it always is,
and I patiently drifted along, first-gear stop-and-go all the way up I-405,
looking forward to turning south at the I-5 interchange and the chance to
open up a little.  'Twas not to be; I-5 was jammed even worse than 405, due
to a 4-5 car crash just by an on-ramp (sadly involving what looked like an
immaculate '56 T'bird, amongst others).

Past that, we all surged forward breathing a collective sigh of relief -
until the next jam, two miles further on, leading to my freeway exit.  A
traffic light had gone out close to my home, and the resulting snarl was
unbelievable.  Took 45 minutes to cover the last mile and a half.  But when
I turned off the engine, I wasn't tense or angry, just glad to be home, cold
(the heater fan still doesn't work) - and quietly exhilarated.  Why?  I
drive an Alfa.

Throughout the whole trip, Arturo had been completely untemperamental,
idling steadily through all the traffic without once overheating or
stumbling, and tolerating my occasional second-gear graunches (I'm still
working on double de-clutching).  Whenever the chance did occur for a brief
gallop, he surged forward instantly and willingly with his usual muscular
eagerness to run free that is an absolute joy.  And then was quite content
to sit in the traffic again for the next blockage.

And all the while the top was down, letting in the crisp air, letting me
watch the biggest, brightest full moon of our lifetimes rise over the hills,
see the stars come out, an occasional plane float by on its way to SeaTac
airport, a vee of geese honking overhead at low altitude.  From time to time
I'd catch a whiff of hot paint from Arturo's new muffler, or of cigar smoke
from the driver of the car ahead of me.  Yes, it was cold - without a fan
there's only warmth over 30mph, and I'd definitely have liked a hat and
scarf! - and sitting in traffic is never going to rate high on my list of
favorite activities.  But I wouldn't have traded Arturo for any other form
of transport last night.

The climate doesn't matter.  With a fine Alfa, you'll always have a smile on
your face.

Happy holidays to one and all!

Jon Inge
86 Spider Veloce "Arturo"