Flaky odometer - '88 Spider

Thanks everyone for suggestions on troubleshooting my odometer and trip meter
which stoped functioning short of 100,000 miles.  The meter resets OK, but
will not advance any longer.  I have removed the instrument cluster, and
examined the odometer motor electrical connections.  They look good.  The
gears that the motor engages on the odometer and trip meter turn freely.  Any
ideas on how to determine if the motor or sender unit are defective.  Can I
apply current to the odometer motor connections to see if it will turn?  How
much current/amps, and to which wires.  There are three wires, two red and
one green.  I may take up a fellow digester's offer to send me a spare
cluster, but enjoy figuring out how these things work.
Paul in Chico, CA
'88 Spider Veloce

End of alfa-digest V7 #1234