RE: Turbine thermometer

Luca was interested to know what temperature his 75 turbo turbine is so=
 he could
shut it down at a lower temperature.

A possible solution is to paint on the outside of the turbine with some=

Temperature Signalling Paint. This will provide a rough guide, (mine wa=
s within
40 degrees) The actual brand name escapes me, but some time ago I broug=
ht some
from a race supply store for my race car to easily identify what temper=
ature the
discs where getting up to as my brake pads worked best at a certain ran=
ge.

I painted the outside rim of the front discs and the paint changed colo=
ur as the
discs heated up... from memory it was  Red when cold, Rust when about 3=
70=B0C,
Orange about 510=B0C, yellow about 530=B0C and Grey-Green when about 80=
0=B0C.  I was
supplied a colour chart which you held next to the disc and best matche=
d the
colour to indicate the temperature.

This company offered many paints that altered at different temperatures=
 starting
from 100=B0C and going as high as 1600=B0C.  (I can find out the compan=
y name next
time I phone home and talk to the old man)

There are a few variations of this paint available on the market with s=
ome that
lose their colour when achieving the correct temperature, so you purcha=
se a
number of different range paints and paint strips everywhere to identif=
y a
scale.

I'm sure you will be able to find something suitable if you talk to you=
r local
race supplier or Brake outlet.

Philip Hehir
NZ Antipodean in London