Gas Smell

The gas smell in my spider has returned, Can someone explain this system
to me such that I can try to remedy the problem.  When I refuel the car
in removing the gas cap pressure is released from the tank, should there
be pressure in the tank?  I have replaced the Charcoal box, the check
valve operates properly and I have run a small line from the check valve
to the exteriror of the car.  The hard plastic line is hooked up to a
vaccum source on the intake manifold

The car is a 1988 Spider.

Kelly M.
Sac. Ca