Re: V6 swaps to 105/115

In AD7-1229 Kevin Trent , intrigued by the idea of V6 or V8 swaps to a
105/115, discusses Hans Milo's 1973 GTV-6, and adds "Finally, it is my
understanding that the Digest's regular contributor John Hertzman made the
trek to Milo's shop in Georga and has seen this car, but I'm unaware if he
discussed it in this forum."

I did indeed discuss it, several times; I lost the earliest ones in a
computer disaster but still have one from AD3-0017 on 23 July 1996. In
addition to the details KCT mentions, (flywheel, bellhousing, ZF box,
rack-and-pinion steering, tight headers, etc) a key is that Hans used the oil
pan from the Alfa 6, which clears (just!) the suspension crossmember of the
105/115 chassis. The GTV-6/Milano pan will not work.

Hans worked with a severe self-imposed limitation that there was to be no
cutting of sheet-metal which would interfere with later restoration of the
car to original condition, and he made it-just; some of the clearances would
be measured with a feeler-gauge, and in a few places he had to dimple
sheet-metal or bend a flange 1/16". The 115 brake-booster and left valve
cover, for instance, is below-zero clearance without one discrete
hammer-ding. It was a masterful tour-de-force, carefully studied beforehand
with templates and then meticulously executed. Was it worth doing? In my
opinion, only in the "Why do you climb Mount Everest?" sense; because a
question is there, the curious and brave will respond to the challenge and
either prove themselves masters or die trying.

There have been Montreal engines in GTVs, and Don Black sold a brand-new
"Tasman" V8 to a southern Good Ole' Boy who stuffed it in a GTV. In the same
batch of old digests where I dug up my Milo posting there was one from Les
Singh, the same day: "we built a 550 HP Alfetta GTV powered by a Milodon V8.
The engine sat roughly where the gearlever pokes out, totally inside the
cabin and the driver sat in the left rear. Drive to the Alfetta transaxle -
yes! it was strong enough - was by a driveshaft with VW cv-joints replacing
those troublesome rubber doughnuts. The car won the Sports Sedan championship
and the 5-Litre championship and was the fastest, loudest big-banger of its
time."

Engine-swaps have been around almost as long as cars, certainly as long as
sports cars; the swap-of-the-month was a regular feature in Road & Track
during the early days, (most of them Ford V-8 60s into MGs) and seven of my
first nine cars had engine swaps. Engine swaps come in for some criticism,
much of it justified, because they are often undertaken by people who butcher
nice cars to shoe-horn in an inappropriate engine with little concern for
integrating the entire system. I remember a Giulietta Spider which had a
Willys F-head six, which involved cutting away one of the most critical
structural parts of the hull, the boxed section of the firewall which is the
principal connection of the left framing members to the right. But there have
been many relatively good swaps, often starting with "I have this nice
engine, what can I put it in?"; these include beautifully executed
installation of a Bugatti engine in an MG TC, a Duesenberg in a 1934 Ford
roadster, a Ferrari V-12 in a Willys station-wagon.

The nicest thing about an Alfa of the late sixties/early seventies is,
arguably, the engine, followed by the rest of the generally well-matched
chassis, and probably the best place to put them is in an Alfa hull. KCT's
bottom line - - "I'm beginning to think I could pour the same monetary
investment into a tweaked 2000 engine and have a better balanced car with
near the same HP, and without headaches I can't even imagine"- - seems sound.
Before the tweaking, though, I would try for optimized stock; people who have
not experienced a new GTV, a new Berlina, a new Giulia Super, may not
understand just how satisfying such a car can be.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.