Re: Milano/75 questions

Joe asked a couple of Milano questions:

<<<<<
First, the oil level sensor has died and constantly indicates low oil on
the ARC. As I don't trust these devices anyway I'm not too keen on buying a
new sensor. Does anyone know how to trick the ARC into ignoring this sensor
- - shorting it or leaving the connector off is  not the answer.

You've posted a question with contradictory answers.  First, the assumption
the oil level sensor is untrustworthy really is false.  The sensor is not
particularly expensive, around $30~50, but installing it is a PITA.  Still,
I only replaced the level sensor on my Milano once in 165k miles.

Second, you ask how to "trick" the ARC into ignoring the sensor, but
without shorting the sensor.  Unless you're prepared to reprogram and
reburn the logic chips of the ARC, this is not possible (to my knowledge.)
 The oil level logic expects voltage continuity from the sensor.  To fake
out the continuity, the wire must be grounded (iow, shorted.)

Personally, I would replace the sensor.

<<<<<
Second, when driving in excess of 70 mph and then decerlerating to a speed
less than 70 I get a momentary oscillation in the speedometer needle
(magnitude +/-10 mph) as the needle passes the 70 mark. Otherwise the
speedo is fine.

I would suspect a signal problem.  The speedo sensor is in the transaxle.
 Decelerating through 70 MPH, do you feel any vibration or shimmy?  If so,
the signal wire could be loose.  Otherwise, I would just watch it and wait
for it to get worse.

Howard K. Warren, Little Rock, AR
1984 GTV-6, "Falconi", 133k miles
1991 164L, "Peregrine", 65k miles