ATE calipers (tii and VW vans)

A recent thread on alternate calipers for a 105 series car has drawn me out
of lurking mode.

I have never tried this, but I "understand" that the ATE calipers from early
1970s VW vans with a camper conversion are straight swaps for the 105 series
calipers. The difference is that the ones from the VW have bigger pistons and
pads.

The other theoretical upgrade is the ATE calipers from a 2002 tii. These are
four piston calipers, and I think you'd need to do some plumbing work. Not
sure.

The thread that John H. refers to centered on a european car magazine article
on upgrading Porsche brakes. Several folks on the AD saw this and thought,
gee, if Porsche outsourced their calipers and you could swap to upgrade, and
Alfa outsourced their calipers, you should be able to swap as well.

It makes sense that ATE would want to minimize the caliper housing part
numbers, make as many common parts as they can, etc. It is logical, but life
is not logical. FWIW.

Oh, and if we ever have some award for electronic archivist of the decade, I
emphatically nominate John Hertzman. He is a huge asset for this list.

Cheers,
Peter Lundquist
Burlingame CA
1969 GTV