RE: Re: 164 Bushing installation

John Justus mentioned in his post of "Burning out the old rubber bushes out for
replacement with superpro ones....

>Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:19:32 EST
>From: JALFAjr@domain.elided
>Subject: Re: 164 Bushing installation

>I am glad Vlad posted his experience on replacing his bushings, as they
mirrored mine from two weeks ago >for one side, and this weekend on the
remaining side.

>I simply set the rubber on fire over a metal pan, outside, and they pretty much
burned themselves out.  >Took a couple of relights, but worked fairly well.

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this, unless they are also prepared to protect
and repaint the suspension arms again.   Setting alight to the rubber heats the
metal up (obviously) and without being scientific about it, increases the metals
corrosion susceptibility.   You could, and probably will find after a year or
two find the car being failed for rust on the suspension arms, let along giving
rise to a safety issue should this be over-looked by your garage.

Given that most people wish to do this work at home to save money, but most of
the cost is in the time taken to remove all the necessary arms for bush
replacement and then fit them back to the car.

The best option is to either make up a small press unit out of a few short bits
of suitable pipe, and using either a long bolt with a few washers or use a good
vice, press the bushes out as required. (Reversing the procedure to press the
new ones in)

The other option (Having removed all the suspension arms that are in need of
replacement bushes and leaving the car suitably and safely supported) is to take
all the parts down to a suspension shop where for a small fee they will press
out the old and press in the new on a properly designed machine.

Philip Hehir
NZ Antipodian in London

88 Sprint QV
92 Alfa 33 1.7 S 16V P4