Marelliplex Problem Revisited

A couple of weeks ago i sent a post about problems i was having with my
marelliplex ignition.

i'm 90% sure that it was the ignition module that was the problem.  brian
shorey sent me a spare ignition to play with.  when i swapped in his coil and
module, the problems appeared to go away.  next, i swapped in my old coil,
and the car still ran fine.  i never swapped in my old module to confirm that
that's what the problem was, hence the 10% uncertainty.

since my coil was showing lower resistances than it should, and since the
original style coils are getting harder to find, i opted to replace that as
well.  fwiw, Bruce's Parts Bin had the original coils in stock (now made in
Turkey instead of Italy).... thanks Bruce!

thanks to all of you who sent me suggestions.  after talking to the parts
guys at my local NAPA, i was convinced that the module could not gradually
fail..... John Fox wins the prize for suggesting that this module CAN degrade
and cause weak spark instead of just causing no spark.

thanks again,

bob brady, dvaroc
'88 verde
'74 gtv