Giovanni's oil issue

> Yesterday, when it occurred I decided to leave it as-is and drive
> my local Alfa Shop. After initially being puzzled, spark plugs were pulled
> and
> #s 1 and 3 were wet and seemingly oily. I was told that this was likely a
> leaking valve guide, and furthermore told I was likely in for some rather
> expensive top end work.

Get a new reapir shop.
If there is oil in the spark plug wells, it is simply the black oval
gasket that is failing to seal. It isn't even close to the valve guides.

perhaps you misunderstood the shop, but this is NOT a serious issue in
most cases, a new cam cover gasket ($29) and the tower seals ~< $1 ea.
and you'll be dry as a bone.

Washing the motor get water in places it isn't welcome. AMHIK... Pull
off all of the Bosch connectors and blow them out, and spray with WD40
or similar, silicone etc, and reinstall, also dry out Disty cap and then
have a nice day...

AlfaBill
Tampa
91 168
85 Spider foster car
71 VW Bus (Whoa! Dude)
88 SAAB 900T convertible- the mule. Passion free driving :oD