Milano fouled plugs, cause?

One day immediately after washing my engine, it started to run poorly, a top
gear full -throttle run cured it up for about two weeks . It then returned three
times, intermittently over the last 3 weeks. Again, full throttle for 5 minutes
and gone. Yesterday, when it occurred I decided to leave it as-is and drive to
my local Alfa Shop. After initially being puzzled, spark plugs were pulled and
#s 1 and 3 were wet and seemingly oily. I was told that this was likely a
leaking valve guide, and furthermore told I was likely in for some rather
expensive top end work.

Thing is, I had a valve job done only 16k ago (same time the plugs were last
replaced.) So now, with 6 new HLs, car runs great but I am told that a leak-down
test will have to be performed to determine "how much and what type" of repair I
am in for. I plan to get a second opinion.

A very trusted Alfisti friend counters all this by noting that he's had plugs
foul (especially after washing the engine)  many times on his GTV/6s and Milanos
over the years and that nothing more than cleaning the plug was required.

Anyone have similar experiences they would care to share, I don't want to spend
the price of a good used Milano repairing what  I don't need to.

Giovanni
88 Verde (feeling much better after new plugs)