re: Tire width

hi glenn, ewe said:
>I have a '93 Spider Veloce and I'm looking for autocross tires. I've found a
>used set of Toyos that are 225/50 15" size. These will fit my wheels, but
>can anyone tell me if they will clear the body work?
>
>The springs/shocks are too soft, and I find that the car leans, squats, and
>dives a LOT under heavy driving (i.e. autocross).
>
>Anyone care to predict fi they will fit?
========================
even if they *will* fit, i'd think this is way too much tire for a spider.  i
have the same size on my completely shankle-ized gtwe6, & i think it's about
max'd out for the size/wt/hp of this car, especially since it sees a lot of
street use.  sounds like your car's suspension is relatively stock - when you've
stiffened it up a bit, then i'd consider 205's, or 215's at the outside...  too
*much* tire will hurt, not help, in auto-x, yust like too *little* tire...

also, what width rims ya got?  i'm using 8" wide, & i think 7" would be the
narrowest rim that would be adequate for a 225-50-15...

not a spider owner, but 225-50-15 sounds a bit extreme for a spider that will
see street use.

one person's opinion,

doug s.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1216