Re:62 Giulietta ?

At 6:53 PM 12/12/99, Alfert@domain.elided wrote:
>I recently lowered the engine (1600) in my spider to allow the headers to fit
>properly and not hit the steering column. I used mounts from ZeBell and his
>headers. The question is: Do I need to lower the transmission mounting plate
>by the same amount that I lowered the engine? I realizer the drive shaft has
>universals, but it seems to me that it might make sense to lower the back of
>the trans as well. The car is only used for vintage racing....

The vertical plane of the driveshaft flange just behind the center bearing
(the "mid-flange") should be parallel to the vertical plane of the input
flange of the rear axle pinion shaft.

The "Guibo" is essentially a CV joint, so the angle here does not much
matter, so long as it is not excessive.

Lowering the front motor mounts has rotated the engine/tranny assembly
about the rear tranny mount a little bit, but because the rear mount is
almost exactly under the guibo joint, this change may not have affected the
angle of the first portion of the drive shaft very much at all! Lowering
the rear mount an EQUAL  amount to what you lowered the front might
seriously affect the angle at the mid-flange, and thus introduce a
driveline vibration!

Basically--you should use an angle finder gauge (you can buy a decent one
at any good machine tool supply house for probably $25 or so) to compare
the angle of the axle input flange to the angle of the mid-flange in the
driveshaft. Get these angles equal. I would bet that a bit of prying on the
rear mount with a tire iron would give you a good clue of how much and
which way (if any) you need to raise or lower the rear mount to get things
right.

You need to take these angle measurements with the car sitting _AT _ITS_
STATIC_ RIDE_ HEIGHT!!

Regards, Greg