re: flasher unit broken?

In AD v7n1207, Chris wrote:

<snip>
"Basically, the strange symptom I'm getting is that the indicator light on
the dash is always on, and goes off when the exterior lights blink."
<snip>

I've had the same condition on my '77 Alfetta GT and wondered about it. It
turns out that the nifty $4USD flasher I bought and installed is a mechanical
device and the car should have the electronic version (that one is $14USD).

Inside the mechanical flashers there are actually two "flasher" parts, one
for the exterior lights, the other for the dash indicator. In my flasher
unit, the dash indicator portion makes contact due to the orientation in the
car and the car vibration. I'm searching to find a reasonably priced
electronic unit to replace it with (there's an interference between the
flasher units and the fuse box mounting that eliminates most flashers).

I have to be careful when I park the car so that the dash light is out and
the battery doesn't drain.

Hope this helps a little. I'll let you know what else I find.

Tom

'77 Alfetta GT
'63 Spider
Seattle