Re: alfa-digest V7 #1209

In a message dated 12/09/1999 1:34:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< People who run red lights scare me silly, but I can understand why it
 happens in this burg.  Poor planning!

More on the fright front:

This week there's been a lot of news about the number of people who die as a
result of mistakes during medical treatment.  The NY Times reported on
near-miss by a doc who grabbed the wrong bottle of knockout meds from a
drawer in the OR: both the knockout drops and the paralytic agent came in the
same size, same color bottles and labels, and were kept next to each other.
This is a failure in planning (and design) that encourages needless risks to
life and limb just because nobody paid any attention to the use of our
created environment -- just like Herb's description of the stop lights in
Phoenix or certain automakers' positioning of the accelerator and brake so
close together that sometimes some bigfoots go when they mean to stop,
thereby crashing into the back of my newly restored spider in a truck.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because people don't think... or because they
can't.

Charlie

LA, CA, USA