Re: alfa-digest V7 #1208 - Excess Caster = Camber Gain

    I agree that positive caster causes the steering to self center.  I
believe that a road car should never be set up with negative caster.
    Caster should always be positive.  Consider a bicycle with the front fork
vertical (zero caster) or worse, the bottom of the fork pointing back toward
the rider.  The wheel would be nearly impossible to keep from flopping over
to the side.  With the fork pointing forward, ahead of the contact point of
the tire with the ground, the wheel will stay straight.  That is what allows
you to ride a bicycle with no hands.

    John Hoard of GTA Jr. fame suggested setting the alignment with lots of
positive caster to get negative camber when the wheel is turned.  I think he
called this "Camber Gain," but I could be wrong.
    When a wheel with excessive caster is turned, it tends to lay on its side
(in the extreme case), which adds negative camber.  When the alignment shop
mis read the Alfa workshop manual and set up my race car with 4.5 degrees
caster, I did not complain.  That just adds to the 2 degrees of static
negative camber.  As this is a race car, it is set up with zero toe.
     My street spiders all run Alfa specification alignment per the workshop
manual, except the street racer.  My street racer has stock alignment, but
one degree of negative camber via adjustable upper control arms.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 12/08/1999 9:48:13 PM Central Standard Time,