RE: Red light runners and other criminals

> Never run red lights, and don't run yellows unless you really can't stop
> safely. This is the number two safety problem in North America next to
> drunk driving. The response of safety engineers to yellow light runners is
> to increase the red overlap (all lights red) and I sympathize as they have
> no choice. BUT, red overlaps encourage more late light running! The
> solution actually is to move to a European short light phase which makes
> the perceived time penalty of stopping for a light less onerous. Also,
> people at the front of the line should be encouraged to step on it when
the
> light does turn green which will reduce this perceived time penalty (I
find
> the horn sometimes has the desired effect). Late light running even if

the europeans also have another traffic light signal that i find very
useful - the 'about to change to green' signal.  imagine that, providing
useful information to a driver!

also, for the record, my initial response, which provided a possible defense
for a short yellow light, was not an indication that i condone running
yellow or red lights.  i don't.  however, the original poster mentioned that
he felt that the light was short.  this, imho, is just as dangerous as
running a red, because you are not allowed sufficient time to come to a safe
stop.  i think it's fair to time the light and complain to the state if it's
not adhering to whatever guidelines might be in place.

>Fast and competent drivers should set a good example where it really
>counts. Don't drive drunk and don't run lights, even if you could "get away
>with it".

this is a really good point.  as you're setting a good example, think about
what it says for the marque you're driving - how do you want alfa romeo
drivers to be perceived?

bs