Red light running

Greg writes:

<< I suggest that you don't run the red light! In CA, you are allowed to
enter
 the intersection under the yellow. The red light cameras take your picture
 if you enter the intersection 2 or 3 seconds after the light turns red,
 giving you some grace period. I wish the police would spend more time
 writing red light tickets - in San Jose, CA it's fairly common to see
 someone run a red light in full view of a cop with no ticket written. The
 long term consequences are more accidents - it's also common to see T-bone
 accidents at intersections, and my wife was hit today by some bonehead
 running a red light (she's OK fortunately).

 While part of the motivation for the cameras is probably money-making, they
 will also improve safety by dissuading drivers from running the red lights,
 which is clearly a dangerous activity. >>

Greg, first let me extend my sympathy to you and your wife.  It is indeed
fortunate that she was not severely injured.

I have been quietly regarding this matter for long enough, but now allow me
also to comment upon a very dangerous situation that is happening all too
frequently in more and more locations.  As a formerly practicing traffic
engineer, I am glad to see that some agencies are taking steps to alleviate
red light running.  I seriously doubt that the cameras are being installed as
revenue enhancers, as it is traffic engineers, not law enforcement personnel,
that have control over traffic signals, their timing, and appurtenances.

A couple of years ago I remember reading statistics from Arizona that more
accidents there are a result of red light running than any other cause
(including DUI).  Phoenix and Tucson are in the top five cities in the
country for this phenomenon.  Age of population may be a contributing factor.

If you got popped on camera speeding, I have some amount of sympathy.  If you
can prove that the road design or channelization/lane pattern is flawed --
more power to you.  But if a camera got you running a red light, I suggest
that you pull out your check book this time, and immediately cease and desist
in the future.  A $271 ticket, or whatever, is a whole lot cheaper than the
property damage and injury or loss of life that could be awaiting you down
the road (so to speak).

I'll climb off my soapbox and crawl back under my rock again (at least it is
dry under there).

Gordy Hyde
NWARC
1987 Spider "VELOCE"