running red lights

Marty Stuczynski wrote "While visiting Los Angeles I ran a yellow light and
was photographed by one of their robot cameras ( Wilshire and Sepulveda Sts.
) . This intersection seems like a trap to me as it's a long downhill to
what seems a short-duration yellow light."...."Has anybody fought the
robot?"

- -----

I suggest that you don't run the red light! In CA, you are allowed to enter
the intersection under the yellow. The red light cameras take your picture
if you enter the intersection 2 or 3 seconds after the light turns red,
giving you some grace period. I wish the police would spend more time
writing red light tickets - in San Jose, CA it's fairly common to see
someone run a red light in full view of a cop with no ticket written. The
long term consequences are more accidents - it's also common to see T-bone
accidents at intersections, and my wife was hit today by some bonehead
running a red light (she's OK fortunately).

While part of the motivation for the cameras is probably money-making, they
will also improve safety by dissuading drivers from running the red lights,
which is clearly a dangerous activity.

Greg