Re:caster... negative or positive ??

>Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:10:53 EST
>From: Loosej@domain.elided
>Subject: caster... negative or positive ??
>
>Alfisti,
>  A '74 GTV has been described by other GTV drivers as having "vague"
>steering.  On the highway, at 65 MPH, the car feels like it is being blown
>about the highway even when there is no wind.
>  Should this failure to track properly be corrected by 2 degrees of
negative
>caster or 2 degrees of positive caster.
>Thanks,
>joel lewis
>Houston
>'74 GTV
>'89 milano

Just lengthen the caster control rod by the same amount either side - very
easy to do - just count the turns. You can do this a little at a time and
road test till you're happy with the end result. I would then check on a
chassis machine to see what the figure was.

Compare caster to the rake of the front forks on a bike - the greater the
backward tilt from vertical, the better the straight line stability but the
harder it becomes to turn.The figure given for GTVs etc is 1 deg +/-30"  ,
so that's 1 deg positive.

Ciao

Les back from the NZGP