Re: LA Robot traffic ticket

Successfully fought a ticket on the Oakland maze (approach to the SF Bay
Bridge) for an illegal lane change (crossed solid line trying to weave onto
E-580).  Merge area did not comply with federal regs.  I pulled my copy of
the Fed manual on traffic devices etc. and this is what it says:

4B-12
Number and Location of Faces
- ----------------------------
85 Percentile Speed Minimum Visibility Distance
(mph)                    (feet)
20                  175
30                  270
40                  390
50                  540

4B-15
Vehicle Change Interval

"Yellow vehicle change intervals should rnge approximately 3-6 seconds.
Generally the longer approach intervals are appropriate to higher approach
speeds."

So, depending on the facts of your case, you can contest claiming that the
signal was not properly placed and that the yellow interval was too short.

but