Re: alfa-digest V7 #1201

In a message dated 12/05/1999 8:36:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 My 1989 Milano (75) recently developed the habit of shutting down whenever
 the engine temperature reaches a certain temperature, about 175 degrees (F),
 which usually occurs after about 15 minutes of normal driving.

 At first I thought it was related to fuel delivery, but everything I know
 how to check on the Bosch EFI seems just fine (air flow meter, fuel pump,
 fuel pump relay, etc.).

 I then tested for spark, and found the problem.  The spark disappears at the
 critical temperature, and the engine then dies.  Once the engine cools down
 for a few minutes, spark returns and the engine will start and run just
 fine, only to die again once the temperature climbs back up.

 Any thoughts on the cause?  By the way, I changed the distributor cap and
 rotor (they needed changing anyway), but it didn't really affect the
 problem >>

Check the connection for the coolant temp sensor, which is at the front of
the engine on the plumbing tree, just below the plastic tits.  The sensor's
at about 3 o'clock and plugs into a paddle connector which can itself build
up corrosion and cause the symptom you describe.  Sometime just unplugging
this connector and reconnecting it 3 or 4 times will cure the problem,
sometimes a little more carefully cleaning will do the trick.  It's worth
trying because it's fast and cheap.

Also check and clean up the connections in the 2 square connector blocks in
the firewall near the coolant expansion tank.

In my experience if you're only having a problem when the coolant reaches a
certain temp. there is nothing basic or serious wrong, most likely an
electrical discontinuity.

Good luck!

Charlie
AROSC