irregular 164 cooling

I know this is a pretty worn out thread, but this may help new 164 owners.
My radiator fan comes on now at varying temperatures. I replaced my
temp/radiator fan sensor with an aftermarket VW sensor so that my radiator
fan would come on sooner. Throughout the summer, with 105 Fahrenheit heat,
my temp. needle never exceeded 212 degrees(the middle hash mark between 175
and 250). Since it's cooled off here in Dallas, I haven't been using the ac.
I caught my temperature hitting 235 Degrees(the hash right before 250),
before my fan came on to bring it back to 212. I turn on my ac and the low
speed fan doesn't come on and has never came on even during the summer. It's
happened twice last week and was wondering if this has occurred with other
164 owners. It hasn't happened since, and has stayed below 212. Just want to
make sure that my Italian Work of Art doesn't start heating up on me!

Thanks,
Danny
Dallas, Texas
91 164L