Milano engine info. needed.

Today I reinstalled my newly rebuilt (Sperry Stage 3) heads on my engine.  I
did this once before successfully so I had a good confidence level and while
I'm no mechanic, I think I'm a decent home mechanic.
Anyway, I installed the 2 heads.  Before I did I mad sure the camshafts were
on the mark.  I also verified the engine was on the "P" mark.  I installed a
new timing belt.  Then I went to manually turn the engine.  I got about 1/4
turn, maybe less, when I felt strong resistance.  I stopped, of course.
Now what?  I verified the car was not in gear.  I  realized I did not have
the distributer nor distributer gear installed, but i don't see how that
could matter.  No, I did not have the spark plugs installed.  I'm stumped.
The engine was running when I disassembled it in October.
Any ideas before I pull the heads off again?  Any and all help appreciated!

Tony Brucia
NY