r.e. children/carseats in cars

Certainly, children greatly increase the work necessary to maintain a clean interior.  I wouldn't find an Accord/Camry/snoozebox a good solution since a filthy, smelly interior isn't any more pleasant in a car you don't care about.  The argument is very similar to the one about whether it makes sense to drive your Alfa on a boring daily commute - it's your life: what are you saving it for?  is my opinion.  Other opinions are equally valid.

I put a folded bath towel between each of the carseats and childseats.  Not only does it prevent the childseat from imprinting the leather, it also collects debris and various fluids.  Towels get changed every few weeks.  Childseat covers go in the washer as needed.  Car interior gets cleaned a bit more often than without kid (today the 164 is being cleaned by the valet service in spouse's parking garage).  Generally, the drivers' floor gets dirtier from feet than the floor adjacent to the carseats because their feet dangle in space.

My situation may be easier than some.  Most of our travelling with children is just the 3 miles to daycare.  There's no need for snacks then.   Even on longer trips, we have the 5 year old on a mature, "meals only at mealtime" schedule.  Americans are peculiar in their tendency to snack rather than (in addition to? burp) have a decent meal 3 times a day.

I do find it frustrating that you have to get a truck in order to get a 3rd row of seats (rear facing child seats in Audi A6 Avant & Volvo wagon don't fully qualify).  We're calling it quits with 3 children.

Bottom line: Don't throw the Alfa out with the baby's bathwater!

Robert Hardwick, Seattle
'91 164
'79 spider (holds one childseat)
'90 Audi 90Q