Re: 50 (6C2500) Alfa for sale on eBay - more info

Digesters who have d'Amico & Tabucchi's excelllent book "Alfa Romeo Pro=
duction
cars 1910-1996" on their bookshelf
might want to check out page 296.  The middle picture shows a 1949 6C 2=
500 Super
Sport (3rd series) with what looks to
me like exactly the same Pininfarina body style as the car offered on E=
bay.  The
caption states that this is the Geneva
show car of 1949, and that it was also shown at the Villa d'Este concou=
rs the
same year.

Let's hope that this elegant car will find a buyer who has the means to=
 restore
it to its former glory and fit a correct 2.5 litre
straight six and 4-speed manual transmission.  I can imagine that just =
finding
an engine and a transmission will be a real
challenge.  They're hardly off-the-shelf items at your friendly local A=
lfa
dealer.

I've always been fascinated by the 6 C 2500's, probably because they're=
 the last
link with the pre-war glory days of stylish
coachbuilt bodies  before mass production took over when the 1900 serie=
s was
introduced in 1950.  They were
introduced in 1938, and the last ones were made in 1953.   I've never a=
ctually
seen one on the road, but I've seen a few in
museums.  The Villa d'Este coup=E9 is my dream car, but the many of the=
 more
sporting bodies (like the Pininfarina
convertible featured on Ebay) are also very good looking.

IMO, the late thirties and late forties were the glory days of coachbui=
lding.
Remember the 8C 2900 coup=E9s, Delage D8,
Bentley R-type Continental, Lago Talbot Gran Sport, etc., etc. (I could=
 go on
forever..........)

Any digesters out there who have personal experience with the 6C2500?

Regards
Jorn Bereng
Oslo, Norway
'82 GTV 2.0 (we're both waiting for summer)

=