Spider bike rack?

Hello

I need to buy a bike rack to support our two mountain bikes and it has to
go either on the Spider or the 164.  Since I have heard so many things
about the hinges of the 164 trunk, I thought the Spider may be the best
choice.  So, the question is, would the Spider's trunk be able to support
such a device?

The ones I am thinking of have an L-shaped metallic padded structure
situated at an angle so that the top of the "L" is half-way on the upper
surface of the trunk, and the lower side of the "L" is resting on the
bumper holding most of the weight.  There are also two sets of straps with
hooks.  One goes from the middle of the "L" to the bottom of the bumper,
and the other from the middle of the "L" to the space between the trunk
door and the body, next to the trunk hinges.  This is the one that worries
me due to the pulling forces on the trunk as a whole.

Thanks in advance

Spiros
'85 Spider
'94 164LS