Re: V6 redline

You know? you are touching on a similar question I've always pondered.
Almost all passenger cars have roughly the same limit--around 6500 rpm.
My question, since I am talking about many different types of engines,
from straight fours to Vee-12s, is "how come"?--What is the limiting
factor that is somewhat universal--can't be pistpon speed, since we are
dealing with many different bores and strokes, doesn't sound like
acceleration of internal parts either- for the same type of reason. Soooo
what is it?---Mr. Esterhok, do you know?? or anyone else reading this?

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 Vilejidiot@domain.elided wrote:

> I've begun to wonder (what took me so long???) why Alfa set the rev limiter
> so low on an engine that produces all its power in the buttery-smooth upper
> rev band... What is the true redline that should be used if one "disables"
> the rev limiter (84 GTV6)? Can anyone give a reason why alfa set it so low?
> driveline? valve float? looked good on the dial?
>
> BTW, this is "alfanut" under my old alfa digest guise. My usual ISP has ben
> placed on the spam list by that service that Richard uses. I must say I'm not
> sure how effective that is if it also keeps many members off the list. I
> don't like using AOL all that much but finally decided to sign up for the
> digest via aol to again have a voice. At least the digest is no longer stored
> as an attachment in AOL as it used to be...
>
> Michael Williams

Regards,
Alan G. Lambert___________________________________<gerard@domain.elided>
           *******Los Altos, California (office)*******