V6 redline

I've begun to wonder (what took me so long???) why Alfa set the rev limiter
so low on an engine that produces all its power in the buttery-smooth upper
rev band... What is the true redline that should be used if one "disables"
the rev limiter (84 GTV6)? Can anyone give a reason why alfa set it so low?
driveline? valve float? looked good on the dial?

BTW, this is "alfanut" under my old alfa digest guise. My usual ISP has ben
placed on the spam list by that service that Richard uses. I must say I'm not
sure how effective that is if it also keeps many members off the list. I
don't like using AOL all that much but finally decided to sign up for the
digest via aol to again have a voice. At least the digest is no longer stored
as an attachment in AOL as it used to be...

Michael Williams