Re: fishing for fish

Thanks Mike & others for similar advice. I went ahead and dropped the lower
sump anyway -- I just can't stand the idea of loose parts rattling inside
that precious engine. Also, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to whether
the fish was ever there to begin with (could a previous craftsman possibly
have forgotten or neglected to replace it?) and if so, why did it fall off.
And dropping the lower pan on a veloce isn't a terrible job.

Sure enough, the clip was there, out of harm's way minding it's own
business and seemingly perfectly intact. The next question, then, was why
was it in the sump? -- did it fall off somehow or did a previous craftsman
drop it and then decide to button the thing up real quick like before
anyone noticed. The answer is that it almost certainly just fell off -- the
clip looked fine in contour but was worn at the points of contact so that
it is/was hopelessly loose. The only thing the previous craftsman is guilty
of, then, was not replacing the clip last time the chain was apart. I think
there's a lesson there...

>Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 11:05:03 -0600
>From: Mike Valant <mev4474@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: fishing for fish
>
>I have dropped timing link bits down the front cover before. In the past
>I have just looked to see if it wound up lying on the chain, or if it
>fell between the intermediate sprocket and the chain. If I was satisfied
>that it went all the way to the sump, I then either fished in the sump
>through the drain hole with a flexi-magnet, or I just left it for the
>magnetic drain plug to attract. I can't think of a way that the "fish"
>could cause any trouble if it is in the sump... unless the engine is in
>an airplane.
>
>MeV

Bo Monroe
http://forza-mm.com/                                Forza Modern Media