164 Gears and stuff

> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:35:26 EST
> From: LoweJacks@domain.elided
> Subject: 164 Gears and stuff
>
> Over the last few mornings when the outside temperature has been
> about 1-2
> degrees Celsius, the gearbox feels as if it is full of treacle,
> and is hard
> to change gear until everything is fully warmed up.  The gearbox oil was
> replaced about 30,000 miles ago, I assume that it is time to replace it
> again, but why would it go off so quickly.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Steve
> 164 TS
> Cumbria UK

Sounds like a similar problem I have with my 164 Cloverleaf. From cold the
gear change is very stiff especially from 1st to 2nd. The colder it is the
stiffer it is. Within a few changes it starts to ease up and gets easier as
the car warms up. The gearbox oil was changed recently and made no
difference at all so I'm guessing it's something to do with the bushings in
the linkage.

There's something about this kind of problem in the 164 Tech Notes:-

> From: "Bill Harkell {Oh No! Mr. Bill!}"
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:31:54 -0800
> Subject: 164 shifter
>
> Mark,
>
>         If memory serves well, there is a troublesome bushing under the
> firewall which handles the shifting linkage. Mine had to be replaced a
> while back just for the symptoms you describe. It also seems to be
> returning as a problem as my action is getting a bit tougher and the
> tech who did my recall said he moved it back into place. Too bad he
> cobbed up my inner fender well when re-assembly took place... :o(
>         Hope that helps.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on this?

Howard
164 Cloverleaf
Northamptonshire UK