RE: Brakes and new Alfa owners

I had written:
>The consensus appears to be to stay with stock rotors and calipers,
>appropriately updated, there was a preference for better than stock pads,
>braidad steel, and dot 4 fluid.  I guess I will not be buying the TAR.OX
>after all.
and Steve S. responded:
<snip>
<<<We always see new track-nascent Alfa owners itching to open their wallets
on
their new beauties, and certainly nothing is wrong with that.  I just want
to remind folks that a great place to put that money is in yourself!!
Investing in driver's schools is perhaps the greatest bang for the buck, and
you will be a smarter, faster, safer, and smoother driver as a result.  The
experience lasts far longer than even the best brake pads. ;)

Several local Alfa clubs offer their own driver's schools, which are usually
far cheaper than the national brands.  The NWARC only charged $70 for their
last one, with women and teenagers half-price!

For that matter, Alfa clubs that don't offer such services, but do host
track days, should consider putting on a driver's school.  It's a great way
to get new membership, and they're rewarding to do.
Regards,
Steve S.
NWARC
Seattle, WA>>

to which I must say:
Steve, you are right on the money (pun intended) in your comments,
especially if you are generalizing, and your point is well taken.  I could
not agree more with you that it is far more important to hone one's own
driving skills for safety, ultimate speed and sheer joy, than to go out and
buy a Ferrari that you can't control.
Having said that, and on a more *personal* matter, I will reiterate that I
just bought this car (a 74 GTV) after being garaged for over 2 years, and
have the intention of restoring it to its near original condition, with the
exception of such technical updates, such as better modern tires for
example.  I thought I start with safety, so the brakes will be first, and
hence my quest for opinions on the subject.  I  will also reiterate that I
am not planning to bring this beauty to the in-side of the track, but that
on the streets I like to drive hard, that is, the italian way.
I might now add that I am an Alfa owner since my first GTV6 in 1983, have
owned several V6 engined cars, including my current 89 Milano.
Funny you should mention the club sponsored driving schools.  Last weekend I
had the great experience of attending AROSC time trials in Willow Springs,
just as an expectator, and I have already decided, even before your thought
provoking post, to attend the next driving school and time trials.  Not with
the *new beauty* (GTV), but perhaps with the Milano.
I'll see you at the Nationals 2000.
Jorge Mazlumian
Redlands, California
1989 Milano Verde 3.0
1974 GT Veloce 2000 with precarious brakes at the time.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1173