re: hard pedal, soft pedal

>I've been following the GTV brakes thread and I seem to have the opposite
>problem: When I first start the car, I usually get a rock-hard pedal.  I
>wait a few minutes for the car to warm up and the pedal returns to
>normal.  I replaced the master cylinder two years ago and as best we can
>tell, do not have a vacuum leak.  Is there a valve in the vacuum line
>somewhere or some other valve which is somehow gummed up and opening when
>it gets warm?

Yes, there is a check valve in the rear of the intake manifold; the vacuum
hose to the booster is attached to it.  If yours is sticking, it would
produce the behaviour you describe.  They're inexpensive and they don't
last forever, so replacing the valve wouldn't be a bad idea.

Dana Loomis
71 & 72 GTVs