FI problems

Ron,
My bet would be you have a bad O2 sensor.  Not the sensor itself, but the
heater.  Typically, following a hot start, the engine will try to go closed
loop much faster than cold, based on the engine coolant temp.  So what I
*think* is happening is that then engine is trying to go closed loop really
quickly, and the sensor is dead cold, so it reads close to 0v.  The computer
thinks its lean- and richen's up the engine.  After some time, the sensor
gets hot enough, and works ok.

When its cold, it stays open loop for 30 to 40 seconds, while the sensor is
warming up, and you don't notice the problem (and drive away...).

Eric Storhok
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
Ford Motor Company