RE: 164S vs. SVT Contour vs. Jetta w/VR6

I have just traded in my Verde for a new SVT Contour. Haven't driven a
Jetta.

Here's my take:

The Contour is front wheel drive. It's a great handling car for a FWD car.
Sticks like glue. I also might autocross mine... it would be very
competitive. If you are OK with a FWD car, then you will love the Contour.

The Contour is faster than even the V6 Audi. 0-60 in 6.9 secs. Make no
mistake, the car is an absolute missile. It also sounds much more like an
Alfa than it does a ford. And yet, it doesn't have any of the
pretender-boy-racer gargbage that the Pontiacs do - it's a much more geniune
car, more low-key.

The ultimate solution is to do what I did - buy the Contour and get a
Spider, for the same price as a V-6 Audi or a 3-series BMW. To give you an
idea of things that the critics say about the SVT contour, check out
http://automobilemag.com/previews/553.html. There's also a nice comparo by
Car and Driver (check their site) of the SVT , the Jetta, the A4, SAAB 9-3,
and the 323i. The Jetta came in last. It was slow. The Contour was chosen as
"clearly the best performer" of the bunch, "tuned on the racetrack and it
shows", etc. but they still picked the Audi and BMW over the Contour for
overall things like space, interior design, etc.

In any case, I considered a 164 up to the last minute. In fact, it was
always my plan to own one. But as I looked more and more, it became clear to
me that I would have to spend anywhere from $13,000 on up to get a 24-valve
car. I know, there will be a huge debate over which is better, but I was
looking for a car that looked and felt relatively "new" - I didn't want a
car with 70k or 80k miles on it.

If you total up what it costs to put 25k to 30k miles a year on a 164, when
you incude the timing belt changes, etc., you have to figure on spending
between $1000 and $2000 a year on repairs, etc. It can work out to the cost
of buying a $17,000 to $18,000 car... for that comparison, I voted to go
with a new car with a 6-year 100k mile warranty, Alfa or not. I've still got
my Spider.

If you compare the cars themselves, 164 (any of them) vs. SVT Contour, the
164 wins but not by much. It's got more character, but not by that much -
the SVT is a unique car. You really have to drive it to understand what SVT
has done to a boring, rental car like the Contour. It's a transformation.

Styling is a no-brainer, the 164 is Pinninfarina. 'Nuff said. The interior
of the 164 really knocks me out, it's gorgeous. But the Contour interior is
very functional and easy - got cupholders!! Of course, the 164 has auto
climate control and heated seats. The Contour only has a power drivers seat.

Handling, I don't know. They are probably pretty close. I've test driven
several 164's (I really WAS going to buy one) and I've put 3000 miles on my
SVT in less than a month, but until you get it on the track or autocross,
you really don't know which would shine. I think the SVT might be better
because it has a siginificant weight advantage.

Bottom line, if it's really important to you to be able to honk and wave
when another Alfa passes by, you will not be happy in an SVT - as great a
car as it is, it's not as special as an Alfa.

But you do get a 20% discount at Bondurant driving school :-)

Good luck deciding, (and sorry for being long-winded)
- -Glenn