Montreal Q-ship (was: Can of worms)

In AD7-1167 Chris Shepley asks "because the GTV and Montreal are both based
on the 115 chassis, would it be possible (or has any one done it) to shoe
horn an Alfa V-8 into a GTV (of any type)?"

Possible, and it (or something close to it) has been done. Don Black sold a
new Autodelta-prepared 2.5 liter Alfa Romeo "Tasman" V8 (by no means
identical to Montreal but close enough for bench-race chatter) to a southern
US client named Leon Greff who used it in a tube-frame GTV about thirty years
ago.

Mr. Black was recently offering for sale a good Montreal engine which he has,
and I toyed very briefly with the idea of buying it, not for use in a GTV but
in a Berlina (1750 style, not 2000) which could be entertaining, but apart
from the probable cost (and work) I would really rather have the car with a
proper four. It would also go very nicely in an Alfetta Berlina, but that
combination would have emissions equipment problems where I live. A
compromise would be to keep the 1750 Berlina hull (which is grandfathered out
of most emissions inspection here) and match selected 116 suspension and
brakes to it along with the Montreal engine, but "stock" still has advantages.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1168