164S Trunk Strut Replacement

I have a 92 164S that came originally with trunk lid struts. Though the
sheet metal mounting plates up next to the rear window hadn't bent to the
point where they allowed the struts to crease the sheet metal or buckle the
trunk lid, I decided to replace them with springs before I encountered
trouble. There are three other 164Ss in my town. Two of them have the
upside-down smile creases where the struts creased the sheet metal. I didn't
want to wait any longer.

I read that some 164S owners had problems with the springs- either the
springs were too weak to hold the lid up, or so strong they bent the trunk
lid sheet metal. I got the correct part # for the "S" springs off of the
Alfa parts CD, and bought them from Alfa Parts in Berkeley. My car has the
mounting points for the springs in the sheet metal and on the lid hinges
(I've seen one "S" that didn't have the mounting holes in the sheet metal).
It took two people to pull the springs far enough to reach the middle of the
three mounting holes. Once in place, the lid shuts easily, there is no
deformation of either the lid or the hinges and the lid actually is easier
to raise. I would recommend that anyone attempting to replace the trunk lid
struts with springs be sure to get the correct "S" springs. Also, once the
struts bend out to the point that they touch the inside sheet metal on the
rear quarter panel, it is very hard to remove the metal clips that hold the
strut to the hinge and lower mounting bracket.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
AROC
ARA