Re:Milano door locks

At Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:09:30 -0800 Chip Mutza <dmutza@domain.elided> wrote:

>I posted a while back about the screwy door locks in my 89 Milano...
snip
>go down, then come back up. It used to only do it once and a while, and
>if I played with it long enough it would eventually stay put, but now I
>can't lock it at all... even from the inside, they all pop back up. This
snip

CASE 1:
Chip, I had similar annoying troubles on my previous 75 1600... it
was the opposite (always locked and unlockable!) but it really seems
these doors lock are too weak.
I suggest you to check the LOCKING MECHANISM. One os on the back part
of the door, at middle height (it's a something like clip/pliers).
The other is on the car it self.. and it's a piece of metal the previous
mentioned clip grabs to.  That metal cylinder stays there due to a screw
on its top. IF you untight the screw just a bit you will see that this
cylinder will be free to move around.  Well... it's pretty easy your problem
is about the ALIGNMENT between the clip and this damn cylinder, that, with
the normal use (doors slamming!) ends to misalign... generating your problem
or just a need to slam harder to close the door well (And let the inside light
to turn off after its time).  My current 75 1800 Turbo has this trouble
and I'm gonna correct the alignment soon before having your trouble
or, worse, damaging the mechanism.  For me the trouble is in the driver's
place door, ofcourse the one that's used the most.
Once you'll have aligned (it means the door will close EASILY and w/o
slamming) I think your problem will be solved, because the lock works
only if door is well closed (indeed if you push it down with open door
it won't work at all and come back up).
Since you'll be messing with the thing, don't forget to oil the clip mechanism
on the door. It's a good thing to do, believe in me :-)

CASE 2:
all locks comes back up.  Well in case 1 I supposed the problem was
on one single door.  If the trouble is in all the 4 ones, I'd go
for an electric trouble.  If I remember well, if you take a locked 75,
and you unplug the battery... all the locks pop back up.
If the locks on your car behave as you would unplug the battery, well...
I'd check the relais (is there one?) that KEEPS the current on the locks
even after you removed the key.  When you turn the key to lock you activate
an elctric thing that pulls 'em all down. After you removed the key, and
so, unplug the connection activating the mechanism, there must me a relais
holding the logical state, so keeping the locks down. If it won't work well,
it will reset back and remove the current from the device.

Hope I helped.
Oh... well... I'm new to the list... I will send a "welcome me, please"
message
soon :-)

Luca.

nodoubt,
937 landpilot
            "A lifetime isn't enough"
937RS2, AR75 1.8 Turbo, RM250, Benelli 500/Quattro
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6818/