Tiring 164 and FWD

I'm comparing tire wear on the 164 to the substantially identical 86 SAAB
9000 Turbo I also own. I'm just starting my fourth set of tires at 200,000
plus km on the SAAB and the third set is only 80% worn (I run two sets
concurrently, one summer and one winter). I am just finishing up my third
set of tires on the 164 at 115,000 km and the fourth set is about 50% worn.

The SAAB 9000 T will out accelerate the 164, handles just about as well,
and weighs about 10% less. the main difference is the ALFA is nose heavy
with the physically bigger engine, and the ALFA rear suspension is an
independent strut whereas the SAAB has the dead axle/panhard rod arrangement.

IMHO, the 164 tire wear is not typical for a high performance front drive
car. The camber on the front wheels of  my car is 2.4 degrees negative, not
adjustable and came that way from the factory. Toe is set within factory
spec at 1.3 mm toe out. If the bushings are wearing this would mean the toe
would reduce as the a arms moved forward under acceleration. Toe out would
increase under braking.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada