'83 Spider Heater

If there's no heat, it's a pretty safe bet that there's no H2O flowing
through the core.  The heater valve is a prime culprit since the rubber
seals in the valve swell and block flow.  Hook up a garden hose to the
intake hose on the heater and let the outlet hose exit where you can see it.
There should be a strong flow, not a trickle when the valve is opened.
Unless you know that the valve's good, suspect the valve before the core.

I have heard, anecdotally, that the inlet hose to the core can be
disconnected from the core and the car run briefly to check water flow into
the core.

My '83 did not use the valve with the A/C fitment listed by IAP even though
it has A/C, which was nice because the regular valve is ~ $16 instead of
~$75.  If you replace the valve, you should consider replacing the inlet
hose too, particularly if the car's ever had a blown head gasket.  The flat
rate manual says that replacing the valve is an 8 hour job and that's just
about right.  To get at the valve, take out the driver's side seat and
you'll be able to lie on the floor and work up on it.  The manual says to
remove the console, which I did, but my impression after the fact was that
it might not be necessary.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider (no problems with heat this year!)