Re: The Best GTV

Hi All

Isn't this thread great?! and the best part is it makes a change from all
those Milano and 164 problems that we seem to be hearing so much about.
What's woith those cars? they made in Taiwan or something?  :-).

The best GTV - mine of course! Its a hybrid that I built myself. About 20
years ago I went through the same thought processes that I hear being aired
on this digest. The best body/interior combination in my opinion belonged
to the Euro 1750 GTV - fully moulded dash, white on black (Veglia)
instruments etc. The Euros have floor hinged pedals, like real race cars!!
which may or may not be a plus for some people but I like the setup. My
car, in addition,  had a big plus - real leather interior. I agree with
others that the 69 seats are magic although the vinyl hardens and rips
after a while. And the I liked the horsepower and torque of the 2 litre ...
and I just happened to have lying around a very low mileage 2000 GTV that
had been totalled..... get the picture?

The changes I made? - engine to 2 litre, replace complete rear axle with
lsd type from 2 litre GTV, the front hubs from the 2 litre. The change to 2
litre hubs was made because of  problems getting lh-thread domed nuts to go
with the Cromodora mags I had and the change to lsd read also meant that
only one wheel would be left with the lh-thread studs. Springs were chosen
using the "technical characteristics and principal inspection
specifications" manuals for various  Giulias, 1750s and 2000s. This allowed
me to get "best" springs for handling and ride-height. Red Konis were
originally fitted but I very quickly swapped with a friend for Yellows
(Sports) - he preferred reds for his Berlina.

The grille I chose was unfortunately the biodegradable 2000 type - real
piece of expensive junk that started corroding from Day 1 and is a pain to
keep clean - but sometime in the future a GTA grille will replace it to
make the car look like a 1750. Last change 2 weeks ago - GTA Jr 3.5 lb rear
deck lid ....... because the original steel one had just started to rust Mr
Scrutineer!

I also agree with Scott Fisher - the best GTV is the one you like. Taste is
personal and so are preferances. I enjoyed building my ideal car and can
recommend such a project to anyone. ... Just don't try it with a 164!

Les in Wellington, NZ  ... and from the days of Olga....my signature line...

Gonna drive my car
Where the wild things are
...got a ...Green GTV...